Any chance ‘drinking more beer’ is your New Year’s resolution? Locally made craft beers that is. It’s definitely an easy resolution in Ottawa with over 12 craft breweries where you can drop in & try their latest hip hop concoctions. You’ll be pleasantly surprised that your resolution will go a long way once you are at the brewery – there’ll be many more beers than what you will find at your local pub, or on the shelves at the LCBO or at The Beer Store. And the best part is that you can grab a souvenir growler, an assorted 6 pack of cans or bomber bottles to share your new sudsy discoveries when you have a gathering of friends on a wintery weekend. With these cool new finds, you will definitely be able to keep your resolution – all year!
Here’s what is in store at…
866 Campbell Ave, Ottawa
New this year, the cool gang at Kichesippi is offering Kich Staff Picks – a series of limited edition beers brewed to styles selected by each of the brewery staff – even the brewery’s driver, Derek Hill, has given it a personal touch by designing all of the illustrations. December kicked off the series with Phil’s London Porter, a traditional British porter chosen by long time employee Phil Ware who is always cracking English jokes around the brewery. To kick off January, Brewmaster Don Harms will be showcasing his German roots & beer schooling with Donny’s Dort – a traditional German Bavarian style beer. (logo on right)
New Kich Staff Picks will be tapped at the brewery every 2 months. Available only at the brewery in growlers ($17.50) or cans ($2.75).
14 Bexley Place, Bells Corners (west Ottawa)
Just opened in October this year and expanding already, this is a brewery that will grow quickly. With names of beers like Ok Lah! Ginger Cream Ale, Inukshuk Canadian IPA, Root of All Evil –a pre prohibition lager, F’n L British IPA and the January’s seasonal with its edgy name: Tell Your Relatives To Get the F Out (you can guess the shortened version), brewery owners Mike Feagan, Ian McMartin and Dave Howard are excited for 2015. “We have even made beers with hops that our brewer Ian McMartin grew on the side of his house – almost covered the entire 2nd floor” shares Mike. Now how about that for being local!
Beers range from $8 to 10 for screamer bottle plus deposit.
5 Hamilton Ave, Westboro (Ottawa)
The tasting bar at this brewery is tiny with a big team of 13 people working away making impressive beers. Pink Fuzz is a way to get your ‘daily dose’ of Vitamin C with bushels of pink grapefruits used in making this wheat beer. It is hands down a fan favorite. “January is going to be an amazing month for us,” excitedly reports brewery co-owner & beermaker Shane Clark (in photo right). “We are releasing a Scotch Ale aged in Bourbon barrel – not named yet – but it’s going to be the best beer I’ve made.” And there is a move to bigger digs too! The brewery will be opening its doors in March in the City Centre.
These are just 3 breweries in Ottawa’s west end. There are many more cropping – err make that hopping – up everywhere in & around the national capital.
Getting cabin fever?
…Take a roadtrip!
Head west to Ashton Pub & learn about the ABC (Ashton Brewing Company that is) beers. Onwards to Perth Brewery to create your own 2-4 of small batch beers from over 13 to choose from. Or follow the Ottawa River further to Whitewater Brewing Company in Forrester Falls.
…Head out to Fiestibière d’Hiver
Back again for the 4th year, the Gatineau Winter Beerfest, will be held at the Canadian Museum of History on Friday January 30 & Saturday January 31. Part of the Winterlude activities, hundreds of beers from Québec and Ontario will be enjoyed along with live bands in the spectacular setting of the Museum’s Grand Hall.
Subscribe to our Savvy Hip Hops craft beer of the month club & you’ll always be well stocked with local brews – from every corner of the province. In January, our subscribers will receive a Taste Case of beers from Beyond the Pale, then the February blahs will be melted away with a case of Beau’s All Natural FeBREWary specialty beers. It’s like having your birthday every month! Your New Year’s resolution will be even easier to keep with deliveries of hard-to-find beers arriving at your home or heck at your office too. www.savvyhiphops.ca
Breweries to discover in Ottawa & nearby…
Breweries with tasting rooms:
- Beau’s All Natural Brewing Company (Vankleek Hill)
- Beyond the Pale Brewing Company (Hintonburg)
- Bicycle Craft Brewery (Trainyards)
- Broadhead Brewing Company (Huntclub)
- Broken Stick Brewing Company (Ottawa)
- Cassel Brewery Company (Casselman)
- Covered Bridge Brewing Company (Stittsville – West Ottawa)
- Dominion City Brewing Company (Orleans – East Ottawa)
- Kichesippi Beer Company (Westboro)
- Lowertown Brewery (downtown Ottawa)
- Perth Brewing Ltd (Perth)
- Square Timber Brewing Company (Pembroke)
- Whiprsnapr Brewing Company (Bells Corners – West Ottawa)
- Whitewater Brewing Company (Forresters Falls)
- Ashton Brewing Company (Carleton Place)
- Big Rig Brewery & Kitchen (Nepean & new Kanata location)
- Brasseurs De Temps (Gatineau)
- Les 3 Brasseurs (Sparks Street & Kanata)
- Microbrasserie-Bistro Gainsbourg (Gatineau)
- Mill Street Brew Pub (Lebreton Flats)
- The Clocktower Brew Pub (New Edinburgh, Glebe, Westboro & Byward Market)
Contract Breweries (breweries that hire another brewery to produce their beer)
- B-Side Brewing Label (Brews out of Beau’s)
- HogsBack Brewing Company (Brews out of Broadhead’s location)
- Turtle Island Brewing Company (Brews out of Broadhead’s location)
- Cartwright Springs Brewery (Pakenham)
- Mad Hatter Brew Company (Ottawa)
- Rurban Brewing (Cornwall)
- Waller Street Brewery (downtown Ottawa)
List was sourced from www.OttawaBeerEvents.ca