This combines the best of 3 things: a light cake, fresh fruit & BBQ. Be sure to watch the angel food cake very carefully while it is on the BBQ. Take your eyes away for a second & it could burn…especially when it is coated with maple syrup!
Grilled Angel Food Cake with Fresh Fruit Salsa
2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries – diced
2 golden delicious apples peeled – dice finely
2 kiwi – peeled & diced finely
1 cup raspberries – fresh or frozen
1 cup blueberries – fresh or frozen
1 Tbsp brown sugar
2 Tbsp white sugar (or omit & add more brown sugar)
2 Tbsp raspberry jam (or Farm Boy Fig Jam is also good)
1/2 tsp of cinnamon (optional)
Mix in a bowl & chill until serving.
This is a great fruit mixture to top a bowl of yogurt, pound cake, ice cream…you name it!
How to Grill the Angel Food Cake
- Heat BBQ on medium high.
- With an already prepared Angel Food Cake, cut cake 6 or 8 slices, brush very liberally with real maple syrup.
- Place on a hot BBQ until toasted – the sugar starts to caramelize and you get attractive grill marks (done when it looks like a campfire marshmallow — not the ones that catch fire!).
- Serve on a plate topped with a spoonful of fruit salsa and whipping cream (Tip: infused the whipping cream with lavender sugar or a splash of Tia Maria liqueur).
- Garnish with a sprig of mint or slice of orange
- Be ready for oohs and ahhhs!
What bottle of wine to uncork?
With the fresh fruit and light cake, you have many wine pairing options! Try a bottle of red icewine (made with Cabernet Franc grapes), Sparkling Shiraz or take a dry approach by serving a glass of sparkling white like Moscato d’Asti made in Italy.
Voila! Your BBQ’d dessert is ready to eat.