As heard on CBC's In Town And Out with Michael Bhardwaj, Savvy Company’s cheese sommelier, Vanessa Simmons, featured her selections of for your holiday cheese platter entitled "Cheesins Greetings".
On a beautiful wooden tray for that unique group of guests, feature a diverse selections of artisan cheeses so that every person discovers a new favourite cheese. (If they love the cheese, it also buys you as the host extra time to get dinner on the table in peace!)
Here’s her suggestions on which cheese to serve…
- your best friends: Beemster XO (try Serious Cheese - Kanata)
- your slightly annoying neighbors: Soft cheeses, small wheels - Fifth Town Nettles Gone Wild, Lost Lake, or Fromagerie Les Folies Bergeres Jupon Frivole
- their teenage EMO son: one or two year old cheddar (try Balderson, most grocery stores), Le Silo (Jacobson's) or Black River Maple Cheddar (available at Metro)
- single, desperate, coworker: a Triple creme (best local - Madawaska of Back Forty Cheeses from The Piggy Market, or Serious Cheese), La Liberte, or event St. Honore, or St. Andre (Costco)
- husbands hanging in the corner: Firm, earthy natural rind or washed rind cheese (Anything from Canreg Station - Byward Market), or Fifth Town's Wishing Tree or Bonnie & Floyd
- mother in law: A big, beautiful blue cheese. Consider local Highland Blue (The Piggy Market), Quebec Bleu D'Elizabeth, or milder Celtic Blue (Farm Boy, Ottawa Bagelshop, Thyme & Again Creative Catering)
- Santa: Fresh cheese curds: La Trappe A Fromage Curds (Costco), Fraiche de St. Sixte (The Piggy Market)
And don't forget, for the person on your list who has everything, or are very hard to buy for, try a Savvy Gift Certificate for one of our upcoming artisan cheese events in 2012.
Enjoy! - Vanessa
Tags: Bonnie & Floyd, CBC Radio In Town and Out, Celtic Blue, Curd on the Street, Fifth Town Nettles Gone Wild, Fraiche de St. Sixte, Fromagerie Les Folies Bergeres Jupon Frivole, Highland Blue, holiday cheese platter, Lost Lake, Madawaska of Back Forty Cheeses, Quebec Bleu D'Elizabeth